If all of the world's light bulbs were replaced with LEDs, otherwize known as light-emitting diodes, it has recently been estimated that in just ten years:
• Carbon dioxide emissions would be reduced by 10.68 gigatons.
• The number of power plants required worldwide would be reduced by 280.
• Total energy consumption would be reduced by 1,929.84 joules.
• A strong reduction in the emission of pollutants such as acid-rain-causing SO2, mercury (Hg), and uranium.
• Electrical energy consumption would be reduced by terawatt hours.
• Financial savings of $1.83 trillion.
• Crude oil consumption would be reduced by 962 million barrels.
• Researchers lay out vision for eco lighting 'revolution'.