According to the Guardian almost everyone seems to be against the third runway, but they do not mention that 'everyone' is usually wrong about everything.
Here are a few reasons why having a third runway is the only way to go, especially if you care about co2 and the environment.
1. a third runway will stop hundreds of thousands of gallons of aviation fuel being burned over Greater London by circling planes waiting to land, because there is no third runway at the moment.
2. enable domestic 'hub' flights from places like Leeds and Manchester save fuel by going to Heathrow instead of Amsterdam or Frankfurt as they are forced to do now, because there is no third runway at the moment.
3. enable a few hundred people who live in a horrible place near Heathrow airport get reasonable compensation and move some where much nicer for the greater good.
4. prevent the insane Tory nimby 'eco' plan supported by Boris Johnson, which involves destroying the Thames estuary by building not one, but three or more runways in the middle of a nature sanctuary, plus road, rail and helicopter links.
5. stop an unholy alliance of sickeningly self righteous and hysterical and miss informed, science spouting but anti science, eco fascists, led and manipulated like sheep by the likes of Greenpeace and the Tory Party, using obstructionist and anti democratic means, in an attempt to force society to make self harming decisions which do not save the planet in any way what so ever, and would cause more co2 consumption not less.
• air flights cause 3 per cent of co2, eating meat causes 18 per cent.
• flying car could not be answer.